Sunday, July 31, 2011

Three Weeks Until Race Day!!!

I know everyone is wondering how my run went yesterday.  Well................ good news and bad news.  Good news..........I DID IT!!!!!!! I completed the full 13.1 miles in a little over 3 hours - 183 minutes to be exact.  Bad news...... I should have ran earlier in the morning, I was really burning up with heat and sweat the last 3-4 miles. 

A few days prior to my run, I started to map out my running course.  I wanted to stay off the streets with a lot of traffic - especially since I would be running on a Saturday morning.  I was able to map a course within my subdivision.  One lap was 1.1 miles which meant I needed to complete 12 laps for my full 13.1 miles.  The night before my run, I went to bed early to get a good night's sleep.  I knew I was going to need all the energy I could store to complete 13.1 miles.

My morning began at 6:30am.  I had a light breakfast that included a protein bar and banana followed by shot of energy gel. I strapped on my water belt that included one bottle of plain water and the other bottle with Gatorade.   I hit the pavement at 7:00am.  To warm up, I walked the first mile.  After the first mile, my pace included - run 1/2 mile and walk 3 minutes, run 1/2 mile and walk 3 minutes, and so on and so on.  The first 6 miles, I averaged about 14.50 minute mile with my heart rate around 160.  After mile 6, the morning heat began to set it.  It felt like it went from a cool 68 degrees to 85 degrees in a matter of one lap.  By mile #8, my heart rate increased to 193 and I was getting very hot. I started to get concerned that I might over heat and have health issues.  To keep my heat levels lower and my heart rate around 160, I began to run a 1/2 mile and walk a 1/2 mile.  This was a pace that I kept for the last 5 miles of the run.  With the outside temperature rising, this strategy seemed to help me stay in focus and keep my body at a reasonable temperature.  

So I did it. I finished my first 13.1 miles.  After my run, I celebrated with a glass of chocolate milk and went indoors to cool down that included 15 minutes of stretching to keep my muscles loose and warm.  

I read in a running magazine that chocolate milk is a great drink to help in the recovering process after a long run. I will have to admit, it really does work.  You don't have to drink a 1/2 a gallon of chocolate milk to feel it work but instead a 10oz glass is just enough to do the trick.

Weekly Workout Schedule
Monday - Run / Walk (3 miles)
Tuesday - Cross Training (45 minutes)
Wednesday - Run/Walk (5 miles)
Thursday - Rest Day
Friday - Cross Training (45 minutes)
Saturday - Run/Walk (7 miles)
Sunday - Rest Day

This week I'm trying a new type of cross training for my workouts - Zumba.  I've heard that this is a great cardio workout so I'm going to give it a try.  Stay tuned for this week's post to see how Becky does with Zumba. 

Happy Running!



No comments:

Post a Comment