Sunday, August 7, 2011

Nerves Are Really Setting In - Only 2 weeks left.

Welcome to the last two weeks prior to race day.  I have to admit, my nerves are really starting to set it.  Even though I ran the full race last weekend, I can't help but feel the nerves for the upcoming race. 

Last week's post I mentioned a change in my cross training workouts. This new change included - Zumba.  I attended a
2-hour orientation class to learn about Zumba fitness and the basic steps.  Two days later, I was at my first class.  I have to admit, this is a GREAT workout. It is fun and it definitely gets your heart pumping.  Depending on your activity level, you can modify the steps to increase or decrease your heart rate.  Each class is one full hour.  If you are looking for a fun cardio class that will get your heart pumping and sweat pouring - try Zumba. You don't have to be a dance expert as it is set up for all participaton levels.  I was beginning to get bored with my eliptical machine so this was a great escape for something new a couple nights a week.

So my husband and I decided to enjoy ourself this weekend and we took our boat to the lake on Sunday.  A fun day in the sun turned to a sore ride home.  During our last ride around the lake, we came across a boat and jet skier that wasn't paying attention to the traffice in the lake.  Their lack of attention forced us to make a sharp turn to avoid a possible accident.  This sudden sharp turn literally flipped me out of the boat.  We have a jet boat which sits lower to the water level then a regular ski boat. A sharp turn with a jet boat is a lot different then a sharp turn in a ski boat.  Imagine yourself as a passenger on a jet ski and the driver make a sharp turn and catches you off guard.  What do you think happens?  Answer - you are going for a swim.   The good news is I landed in the water and not back against the boat. The bad news, as I was coming out of the boat, I hit my right arm and knee.  At first I felt fine and climbed back into the boat. However, on the way home, my knee began to ache and a bruise started to form on my right arm.   My first thought - "Crap, what have I done to myself 2 weeks prior to the race?"  My second thought, " I will not let this hamper my training with only 2 weeks until race day."   

Weekly Workout Schedule
Monday - Run/Walk (3 miles)
Tuesday - Cross Training (45 minutes)
Wednesday - Run/Walk (5 miles)
Thursday - Rest Day
Friday - Cross Training (45 minutes)
Saturday - Run/Walk (7 miles)
Sunday - Rest Day
Keeping my fingers crossed that I can do my workout tomorrow. Stay tuned... 
Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment