Sunday, August 14, 2011

Countdown Begins - One Week Until Race Day

Today marks the one week countdown to the Diva's Half Marathon Race.  It's hard to believe that this all began on March 14th.  Boy has this been a great learning lesson on so many mental and physical levels. 

Sunday is a travel day for me. I am returning home from a long weekend in Florida.  My husband had to travel to Florida all week for a business trip. I thought it would be fun to join him mid-week for a long weekend.  I was able to sneak in a couple of workouts during my 4 day mini-vacation.  One day I thought it would be a great workout to run on the beach.  Boy was it a workout.  The sand was a great workout for the legs and the humidity was a huge workout for the lungs.  The humidity was so thick it made my lungs feel very heavy.  The first couple of miles no problem. By the time I hit mile #3, I thought my lungs were going to explode. My final forth mile became a walk back to the hotel to bring my heart rate back to a healthy level.  My remaining days in Florida, I decided to stay inside at the hotel gym. 
Today is also a rest day.  Gotta love the rest days.  Tomorrow begins my last week of training for the race.  The training days will begin strong and then tapper to light workouts at the end of the week. 

Workout Schedule
Monday - Run/Walk (4 miles)
Tuesday - Cross Training (45 minutes)
Wednesday - Run/Walk (4 miles)
Thursday - Rest Day
Friday - Run/Walk (2 miles)
Saturday - Run / Walk (2 miles)
Sunday - Race Day (13.1 miles)

I will be traveling to Vail on Friday afternoon.  My plan is to complete my Friday and Saturday workouts in Vail so that I can get acclimated to the altitude.  The weather is expected to be in the high 70s and low 80s during the day.  Perfect running temperatures. 

I will have a couple more blog enteries prior to leaving for Vail.  To follow me onsite in Vail, visit the Diva Runner Facebook site.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment