Sunday, May 22, 2011

Week #11- Only 7 days Until Race #1

I can't believed I survived Week #10.  It was absolutely crazy with different things going on every day of the week.  It was my son's last full week of school, baseball games, choir concert and deadlines at work.  By the time Friday came along, I was wiped out.  It was a week full of early morning workouts and only 6.5 hours of sleep each night.  I was definitely feeling very tired at the end of each day.  Remember last week I made the comment, "wouldn't it be nice to just have one more hour?"  Boy, that was my theme for the entire week.  "I wish, I wish, I wish I had just one more hour." 

Even with my early morning workouts in Week #10, I was able to stay true to my workout schedule.  Week #10 was all about "increase" -  workout time, miles and reps.  I was on track to run a total of 13 miles in my (3) Run/Walk workout days.   The beginning of the week was actually my best minute/mile pace time for the week.   I finished my Monday's 3 mile Run/Walk workout with a 15.55 minute / mile pace time. It felt so great to go from 16.33 to 15.55.  WHEW!!!  The rest of the week's run/walk workouts finished at 15.6 and 16.0.  Not too bad considering I had a huge increase in mileage for my workouts.   It's amazing what you can accomplish when you set your mind to make it happen. 

Tomorrow begins the start of Week #11, and it also marks 7 days until my first race  - Bolder Boulder.  The nerves haven't set in yet but I'm sure they will before the weekend begins.  I'm excited to reach my first race milestone in my training process.  This week's training will include the heavier running days at the beginning of the week with the lighter running days at the end of the week. The purpose of the switch in workouts is to not over work my body prior to running a 6 mile race.  This will enable me to continue working on getting better with my pace but it will also allow me to not over extend my muscles prior to a long distance race.  I have the professionals guiding me through the process so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works. 

Week #11 Workouts
Monday - Run / Walk (4 miles)
Tuesday - Cross Training (60 minutes)
Wednesday - Run/Walk (4) miles
Thursday - Rest Day
Friday - Cross Training (45 minutes)
Saturday - Run/Walk (3 miles)
Sunday - Rest Day

After starting my blog entry for the week, I had to take a delay in finishing it due to some recent, exciting news.  The big news - today my husband and I became grandparents for the first time.  We now have a beautiful grand daughter - Joie Valine.  She was born this afternoon so with all the excitement, I had to take a break from finishing my Sunday blog entry. Congratulations to the new parents - Ryan & Gypsy. 

So here we are, 7 days until the first race day.  I'm feeling excited and strong and I'm looking forward to testing my skills and strengths at the Bolder Boulder race.  I hope everyone has a great week.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment