Sunday, May 1, 2011

Week Seven Becomes a "Sore Week"

Week #7 has been tagged the "sore week."  I'm definitely feeling more sore this week than any other week of the training.  Perhaps the increased soreness is because I'm pushing myself harder during my training days.  This week, I increased the speed on the treadmill.  For the last 6 weeks, I've been at a lower steady pace so that I can increase my lungs and breathing during running. This week, I increased my speed slightly so that I can begin to better my minute/mile pace. 

This week, my best Run/Walk minute/mile pace time was 16.75.   This is a little over 30 seconds better pace time than last week.  I still have my eyes set on a 12-13 minute/mile pace time for the half marathon race.  I have 111 days left to complete this task.    I also increased my weights this week during my cross training days.  I not only added an additional 15 minutes to my weight lifting but I also increased the level of weights.  I've added squats, kettlebells, and a workout hula hoop.  The increase in weights has caused my thighs and arms to feel more tender this week than past weeks.   Just an any training program has it ups and downs, the soreness..... this too will pass.

So it hasn't necessarily been a tough workout week, but a sore week.  Today was suppose to be a rest day but instead I opted to do a 2-mile brisk walk. I thought that a nice walk would do me some good and help keep my muscles going and not get stiff.  I'm actually happy I did the walk this morning. I feel great and my soreness is decreasing. 

Week #8 begins tomorrow.  This will be my last week of training indoors.  Week #9 training begins with my Run/Walk training outside.  Week #8 training will be the same as Week #7 ---- 3 days of 3-mile Run/Walk workouts with 2-days of cross training.

Weeky #7 Workout Schedule
Monday - Run/Walk 3-miles
Tuesday - Cross Training (45 minutes)
Wednesday - Run/Walk 3 miles
Thursday - REST DAY
Friday - Cross Training (45 minutes)
Saturday - Run/Walk 5 miles
Sunday - REST DAY

I hope everyone had a great week. It is hard to believe that we are now in the month of May.  I'm so looking forward to the weather getting nice so I can spend more time outdoors. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment