Saturday, March 19, 2011

Day 6 - The Hardest Day of the Week

So, it's Day 6 and it's the hardest workout of the week.  The workout is a Run / Walk with no time limit but instead a distance limit.  Each week, the last day workout will increase in distance.  (next week 4 miles)  This is going to be my first training hurdle- adding another mile to my workout.  To date, my workouts have only been 45 minutes and averages 2 miles.  Based upon my workout pace this week, the 3 mile workout will probably take me 60-70 minutes.

Run/ Walk Workout (3 miles)
* Warm up by walking 5 minutes at an easy pace
* Main workout - run at a comfortable pace for 3 minutes followed by 2 minutes of walking at a brisk pace. Repeat until 3 miles are reached.
* Cool down with 5 minutes of easy walking

So before I stepped on the treadmill, I took a BIG deep breath and said to myself, "I think I can, I think I can."  What do you know, I've just become the Little Engine That Could.  The first 2 miles weren't so bad, but the last mile- I started to feel the burn in my calves.  For the last mile, I was more concerned about my time. I really wanted to have a 21-20 minute mile pace.  Did I make my goal?  Check out today's stats!!!  Other than my calves feeling the burn, I feel GREAT!!!  I'm hoping
                                          that eventually I can look back and laugh at these early days
                                          and say, "3 miles, that was so easy."

Workout Stats - Day 6
Type - Run / Walk
Time -  60 minutes
Miles - 3.0
Pace -  20 minute mile

So I made it out alive and I'm giving myself a gold star for cutting 5 mintues off my mile pace this week!  I'm soooo glad tomorrow is a REST DAY.  After 3 miles today, my body and mind are ready for a rest day. If I'm not sore tonight, somebody out there is really looking out for me.  It's hard to believe that the end of my first week is coming near.  Have a great weekend!!

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment