Saturday, March 26, 2011

End of Week 2 / Day 13 - 4 miles

Wow! It's the end of another week - Week #2!  How time flies when you are having fun!  Today's workout - Run/Walk 4 miles.  I've been dreading this workout for the last couple of days. I guess dread is the wrong word to use - probably nervous is a better word.  Today's workout is the longest run to-date in my training process.  For someone who is out of shape and not a runner for a very long time - 4 miles can seem like forever. 

Last night, I made sure I had a good night's rest to get ready for today's run.   I knew I was going to need all the energy I could store to finish 4 miles today.  I woke up around 8:30am this morning still nervous about my upcoming run. After an hour or two of drinking coffee and reading the newspaper, I finally decided that there is no time like to the present to get going on this run. 

After dragging my feet this morning, I finally got onto the treadmill- still very nervous with my workout.  I decided to change up my workout a little today.  Normally the run/walk includes 3 minutes of running with 2 minutes of walking and alternating this until the miles are reached. Today, I decided to push myself to see how far I could really go before taking a walk break.  My goal - finish a mile before a walk.  Did I make my goal? I did!!! Check out my stats and see how well I did today.


Workout Stats
Type - Run / Walk (Run a mile - walk 4 minutes)
Time - 74 minutes
Miles - 4
Pace - 18.50 minute mile

At the start of this week, my mile pace was 20 minutes. At the end of the week, I'm at 18.50.  I've cut 1.5 minutes off my time this week.  Since starting the training program -I've cut 6.5 minutes off my mile pace.  Wow! I did noticed today that my feet were getting numb as I reached the end of each mile.  Not sure what is causing this to happen.  It was the same feeling that you get when your foot or leg falls asleep. 
Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

So this week I get (2) gold stars.  One for cutting 1.5 minutes off my mile pace time and the second star for loosing a full dress size in my first 10 days of training.  Loosing a dress size is definitely the highlight of my week - as well as I was able to run 4 miles.

Tomorrow is a rest day as well as I leave town for 5 days for a business trip.  I'm a little nervous about how traveling will affect my training program.  Stay tuned.  Have a great weekend.

Happy Running! 

No comments:

Post a Comment